General dentistry refers to a group of dental treatments that are meant to protect your oral health and keep you free from tooth decay and gum disease. General dentistry includes everything related to maintaining the health of your mouth, teeth, and gums, including:
- Routine checkups
- Cleanings, X-rays, and exams
- Preventative treatments
- Restorative procedures
What does a general dentist do?
A general dentist is a dental professional who has earned a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree and is licensed to practice dentistry. General dentists provide a wide array of services. In fact, these services include preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry. This means that general dentists can help patients maintain healthy teeth and gums. At the same time, general dentists can perform a variety of procedures to improve the aesthetics of a patient’s smile.
The wide range of dental services provided by a general dentist includes the following:
- Preventive care – Cleanings, exams, oral cancer screenings, fluoride treatments, and more
- Restorative care– Crowns, dentures, bridges, and more
- Cosmetic services– Veneers, teeth whitening, and more
- Orthodontic services– Braces, Invisalign®, and more
- Emergency services– When there is a dental emergency, general dentists are there to help
What is the role of general dentistry?
The duties of a General Dentist are to:
- Examine teeth for signs of decay, gum disease, and other possible concerns.
- Provide treatment to prevent or manage oral health problems.
- Provide instruction and advice on proper oral hygiene.
- Take X-rays of your teeth and mouth as needed.
- Perform teeth cleanings.
- Recommend and provide tooth restoration, such as fillings, crowns, or bridges.
What are the benefits of general dentistry?
Your smile is the first thing people notice about you. A bright smile with straight, white teeth creates an instant impression. But your smile is much more than first impressions as it is an essential aspect of your overall health as well.
General dentistry procedures protect the health of your teeth, gums, and entire oral cavity. The routine dental cleanings, exams, and x-rays make sure your smile is problem-free. Restorative dental services like tooth fillings, root canal therapy, or dental crowns help restore missing or extracted teeth.
In short, the major benefits offered by general dentistry include the following:
- Evaluation of teeth, gums, and other soft tissues around your mouth to identify problems
- Prevention of oral infections, cancers, and other dental complications
- Protection against tooth decay
- Tooth restoration
- Enhancement of overall oral health
Pharr Road Dentistry is equipped with the latest technologies and efficient dentists who offer the best dental care facilities to patients. Call 404.261.1486 and book an appointment with the Dentist in Atlanta, GA to know more about dental care services and to receive a complete dental checkup for you and your family.