Dentures and partials are removable prosthetic devices designed to replace missing teeth. They are customized and designed to fit comfortably, look natural, and stay in place while you eat and speak.
Dentures and partials
Dentures are a removable set of teeth created from a synthetic material or resin. Dentures are crafted based on an impression of your upper or lower teeth. They are not permanently fixed in place; they must be removed for cleaning each night.
A partial is a denture that is used to replace the missing teeth when you still have a considerable number of natural teeth remaining. Partials are removable, same as dentures, as they are not attached permanently to the teeth or jawbones.
Benefits of dentures
Many people find dentures and partials benefit them greatly. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Dentures and partials allow patients to chew and speak more normally, allowing them to enjoy the foods they love and normally communicate with friends and family.
- Dentures and partials are natural-looking, so patients don’t have to worry about their smile looking too different after their tooth loss.
- Full and partial dentures are custom made to fit your mouth and can replace one tooth or many.
- Unlike dental implants, they are removable and relatively cheap.
When are dentures and partials needed?
Complete dentures, also called full dentures, are dentures that replace all teeth on an arch. They are usually made for patients who have lost all of their teeth. Partial dentures are dentures that replace only a few teeth in an arch. They are usually made for patients with lost some of their teeth but still have others that remain.
A partial denture not only fills in the spaces created by missing teeth but also prevents other teeth from changing position.
Do I need my dentures or partials adjusted?
Sometimes, your dentures or partials will need to be adjusted for a proper fit. You may also need them adjusted after experiencing facial changes due to bone and gum loss.
How do I care for my dentures or partials?
To care for your dentures or partials, you should:
- Brush them to remove food deposits and plaque.
- Avoid using a brush with hard bristles, which can damage the denture.
- Use a soft-bristled denture brush and either water or denture paste.
- Rinse the denture after every meal.
- Keep your regular dental appointments for examinations and cleanings.
Pharr Road Dentistry is equipped with the latest technologies and efficient dentists who offer the best dental care facilities to patients. Call 404.261.1486 and book an appointment with the Dentist in Atlanta, GA to know more about dental care services and to receive a complete dental checkup for you and your family.